Submitted by Cindy
What You Need:
- 1 cup of sand
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon powderded alum
- 3/4 cup of hot water
- Food coloring of child's choice
- Assortment of items child would like to decorate with.
- Plastic pastel butterflies
- Colored stones
What You Do:(This recipe only makes one stone) Might want to adjust to the size of your class.
We do a chart and ask the children what is their mother's favorite color and then go from there in making the dough.
- Mix sand, cornstarch, and alum in bowl.
- Add hot water, stirring vigorously until well blended.
- Add food coloring and blend.
- Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly.
- When cooled, Encourage children to flatten the dough out and make it the shape they prefer. Encourage them to decorate their stone. We had the letters M and O cookie cutters on the table and some of the children put the word "mom" on their stone by pushing the cutters in the dough.
- Dry pieces in the sunshine for several days.
- Lay out tissue paper, tape and ribbon, encourage children to wrap their gift for their mom's and if they would like make a card to go with their gift.
These Preschool Ideas Found At:Everything Preschool >> Themes >> Harvest >> Art